Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The venue was Soldier Field


Sunday's NFC Championship game was my first time to Soldier Field as a fan. The photo above is a pre-game shot. I've been in the press box for games in the past as a member of the media. Before Sunday, I never had the "pleasure" to sit in the stands with all of those Bears fans. I heard stories about how brutal they are and I should have known because the Chicago media is brutal in the press box during games (I'm guessing that hasn't changed since I left the radio business). Good natured ribbing is one thing, but many Bears fans are rude, crude and downright nasty to Packers fans. I haven't heard so many F-bombs in my life! Many directed toward Packers fans and when the Bears were losing (which was the whole game) directed at their own team. To add insult to injury, some Packers fans would rub it in the Bears fans' faces and then you could detect true anger and passion and F-bombs to those fans. My plan, ignore them. If they talked to me in a reasonable manner I would talk to them. Many fans were cordial and to my surprise, when the game was over, many walked up to me to congratulate me and wish us good luck in the Superbowl. I've heard of Packers fans going without wearing the team colors, but please, this was the championship game. I borrowed Packers winter coats for my wife and I. No disguise for us!
The stadium itself is a decent place to watch football. But for the life of me, all those millions they spent to make it look like a spaceship did little to make the bathrooms decent. Everything seemed very industrial looking. One big plus over Lambeau? Seats. There were actual seats instead of bleachers which were much more comfortable. Food and drink are always expensive at stadiums, but $8 for 16 ounces of beer? Yikes. Walking around Chicago with the thousands of other Packers fans was a hoot. After the game was priceless. The only disappointing thing was the Packers' decision to hold the trophy presentation inside the locker room out of respect for the Bears.
Wish me luck for the upcoming two weeks. A PR guy trying to get coverage for non-Packers stories will be a tall order. The Gamblers have their biggest event of the season this weekend - Teddy Bear Toss. Some things were in the works that I think will fall through because many media folks will be heading to the big D to begin the week-long coverage. Not saying the Packers don't deserve it because it's a major deal for this town. But if any of you have a story idea of how to tie a teddy bear into the Superbowl, I'm all ears!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home